During the early 1880’s, the group that was to become Agudath Achim Synagogue held daily services in the home of Nathan Wayne. Services were also conducted in the home of Abraham Livschitz and other pious residents of the city. The first High Holy Day Services were held by this embryonic group in the second floor Hall of the Empire Fire Co. on 10th Avenue between 15th and 16th Streets.
On March 17, 1885, the original group was granted a charter for Agudath Achim by Judge Dean, presiding Judge of Blair County. Services continued in the homes of the Waynes, the Charnases and the Levines. On approximately 1890, a committee of the Agudath Achim Congregation began their plans for a Synagogue building to be constructed at 1306 17th Street, our current site. Our first Shul was a frame building completed in 1895.